Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bandra ka Bulawa...missing home...


Yesterday was reminiscing about Mumbai city,
Today reminiscing about the quaint little suburb, Bandra, 
it's memories keep haunting me.
Bandra or the new name "Vandre", thanks to the name change by the politicians,
Meant "port" or "harbour" in Urdu and Persian.
But I am not here to write about Bandra's history,
I'm blogging on what I miss about it and what it meant to me.
Bandra, my birthplace, where I spent 30 years,
Brings back a lot of happy memories and nostalgic tears.
Memories of my school on Hill road, Apostolic Carmel Convent,
Where I'd rather walk with my friends or cycle than travel by car with the parents.
I still remember school lunch sometimes, Hearsch's chilli chicken croissants and A1bakery's mince rolls,
20 years back they were just Rs. 2 or 3, now I'm sure they cost 10 fold.
American express bakery famous for their sliced bread and apple pies,
Perfect with a cuppa coffe on a wet, rainy day Of July.
In the bylanes, near St. Andrew's school, Cafe Andora, famous for their chicken rotis and endless savouries,
And how can I forget the famous Candies, one at Reclamation and two at Pali.
You get  lovely rolls and puffs in Dubai and other parts of the world, 
a scrumptious variety from France, Italy or Turkey,
But they don't have the Bandra taste and aren't that tasty or yummy.
Joggers park at Carter road, filled with serious walkers,
I remember my friends and I would check out the handsome guys, who'd pass by,
Luckily they didn't mistake us for stalkers.
Sizzling bhutta (corn) and hot dosas from the roadside stalls
Especially during the monsoons, they're far tastier than what you get in restaurants or posh malls.
Walks up and down Kane road with my childhood buddy,
And then end the walks with icy golas and Yadav's Bhel puri.
Bandstand promenade, also filled with walkers and joggers,
But the rocks of bandstand filled with college goers, office goers and all types of lovers.
Cafe Seaside a favourite for those in love and the young and old,
Enjoying the lovely scenes of the sea, the Chinese and the milkshakes ice cold.
The bandstand fort, a beautiful structure and also famous for it's "Celebrate Bandra Amphitheater.
People standing for hours outside Mannat, Shahrukh Khans palatial home,
And people waiting impatiently outside Salman's Galaxee apartments,
To catch a glimpse of the actor, hoping bare bodied he'd roam.
The bakeries and butcheries in nearly ever corner and street,
The vada pav stalls, Bhel Puriwallas, you can't make up your mind where to eat.
The beautiful churches, St. Peters, St. Andrews, Mount Carmels, St. Francis of Assissi,
and our heritage structure, the Basilica of Mount Mary,
Where people flock day and night,
Hoping Mother Mary will answer their plight.
Especially the octave week during September,
The Bandra fair which I fondly remember,
the giant wheel rides and candy floss and popcorn,
the crowds, the rush, the noise from people incessantly blowing those paper horns.
People dressed with zari saris and gold especially on September eight,
Its very rare to see such devotion such blind faith.
Turner Road, Linking Road, Hill road filled with hawkers selling everything from shoes to books,
There's no place to walk, no chance to glance or even give a second look.
The Famous cinema halls, Galaxy, Gemini and Gaiety,
Hindi movies are enjoyed best with their samosas and the whistling front row taporis.
Bandra formerly filled with Savios and Sandras,
Now also a home to Alis, Rustoms, Rajendras and even foreign "goras"!
The mosque and the mandirs and the famous Agiarys,
Bandra is very cosmopolitan, a home to Christians, Hindus, Muslims and the Parsis.
Talking about Parsis, how can I forget apro RTI,
Their dal na poris, chocolate tarts, patra ni machi and chicken fry.
Bandra is surely the queen of the suburbs,
A melting pot of food, people and superstars from the film industry.
But no matter where I go, Bandra will always remind me of home and happy memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment