Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mumbai Calling....


It's six months since I've seen my Mumbai,
I still do miss it, though I love Dubai.
Mumbai has it's own charm and it's own musings,
A city which never sleeps, always lively and bubbling.
The overcrowded trains, with people literally hanging out,
The mad rush at railway stations of office goers, 
gulping down Dabelis at Churchgate station, the best without a doubt.
The Heritage Gateway of India, the smoky motor boat rides,
the old majestic Taj Mahal hotel, which all Mumbaikars look on with pride.
The Jehangir Art Gallery, Khyber and Cafe Samovar at Kala Ghoda,
And my favourite shopping haunts Westside and Fab India.
Colaba Causeway with hawkers selling paintings, scarfs to fake antiques,
Talking in accented broken English to the "goras", sounds funny but also sweet.
Aga brothers Chicken Frankies and Delhi Darbars Daba Gosht, 
There's a Delhi Darbar in Dubai too, but no juicy Frankies, something which I miss the most.
The Bombay Stock Exchange at the Bombay Samachar Marg,
Brings back fond memories of my first job.
Walks on Marine Drive, enjoying the sprinkles of water on my face from the Arabian Sea,
The icy golas, kulfis and chaats from Chowpatty.
The mixed fruit ice-cream topped with whipped cream from Bachelors,
Sipping chilled juices in the car from Haji Ali Juice Center.
The Old lady's shoe at the Kamala Nehru Park, Hanging Garden,
Reminds me of our school picnics when I was a student.
The beautiful structure of the Siddhi Vinayak temple at Prabhadevi,
Our own Burj Khalifa, the TV tower at Worli.
St. Michael's church packed to the fullest, especially on Wednesdays,
Of devotees praying and chanting Novena prayers.
The Mysore Cafe, the Madras cafe, 
Reminds me of my MBA days.
Bandra, my birthplace, filled with innumerable childhood memories
Strolls on Bandstand promenade, Mount Mary's church,
followed by kala khatta golas and Yadav's Bhel Puri.
The auto rickshaws which are able to take you to your destination in break neck speed,
Taxi drivers driving their old broken down fiats, 
even though the customer is sitting at the edge of his seat.
How can I forget my two years of married life at Andheri.
Frankies from Tibbs and Sai Punjab's Tandoori and Aloo Gobhi,
Sacred Heart Church, Mahakali Caves, the pump house road,
Packed with people and cars 7 x 24.
Our lovely neighbours, the Nayars and Sharmas,
Sadly in Dubai, don't know my neighbours, if they're from India, Pakistan, Lebanon or Burma.
Though I'm lucky to have one of my closest friends,
Staying on a floor below me, on whom I can always depend.
So this is just a bit of what I miss about amchi Mumbai,
It's not the cleanest or the best city to live in,
but it has a special place in my heart, 
which can never be replaced by my new home, Dubai.

No comments:

Post a Comment