Thursday, August 2, 2012

Raksha Bandhan - the unbreakable bond!

Raksha Bandhan is a day to celebrate the bond of protection
where a brother promises to protect his sister from all harm and danger
It is not just the tying of sacred thread and exchanging gifts,
but a festival to celebrate the relationship between brother and sister.

Raksha Bandhan is mostly celebrated by a few Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus,
though I am none of the above, I've tied a Rakhi on my brother's wrist, ever since he's two.
I still remember those years where he'd wear the rakhi for days and days,
till the Rakhi would finally wear out and reach the last few threads.
I've still got his Raksha Bandhan gift, which he bought me years ago with his saved pocket money,
a pair of golden ball earrings, made exclusively for me.

Whenever I reminiscence the past, I have a happy smile on my face
I still have fond memories of the food competitions, the fights, our home made puppet shows and Hotwheels car race.
Oh I must say we've been true blue brother and sister,
where we've fought "dishoom bishoom" and even come to blows,
we've played with cars, dolls, Gi Joes and guns
and faced a yelling grandma when we've broken vases playing cricket indoors.

But no gifts or tying of rakhi or a special day can define this inseparable bond we share,
no gold, diamonds,silver or designer bags ;) can measure our sublime love or how much, for each other we do care.

Because though it's over two years since I've tied a rakhi on my brother's wrist,
All I want to say is "Don't feel so sad Bro', for next Raksha Bandhan, in advance I'll send you my shopping list!"

No comments:

Post a Comment