Sunday, February 19, 2012

To Abstain or Not To Abstain......

To abstain or not to abstain from sweets, now, that is indeed the toughest question
Lent is just four days away, I need to make a quick decision!!
The Lenten season begins on 22February, Ash Wednesday,
Where Christians all over the world need to perform certain acts of penance or abstinence,
for nearly forty days.

Earlier I've abstained from meat and fish for the entire Lenten season,
And followed vegetarianism for forty days, 
though I yearned for all my favorite meats,
be it roast lamb, fish curry or fried chicken!
I did it for 5 years and then abstinence from meats seemed pretty easy,
But abstaining from anything sweet, now that,will surely drive me crazy!!

I love my morning cuppa tea with a spoonful of sugar or maybe two,
But tea without sugar, no way!!
that's abstinence too difficult to follow or do!

And what about those bars of Mars, Toblerone and Lindt,
all in the kitchen cabinet staring down at me,
There are just four days left, so I better start now and finish them off in a jiffy.
And there's a tub of Tiramisu ice cream that's lying in the refrigerator,
Now that's going to be difficult to finish, there's over one and a half litre!!

Some people abstain from alcohol or follow 'no alcohol' on Fridays,
But I am a teetotaler anyway, for me everyday is a "Dry day"!

Sometimes I wish I was a kid, younger than thirteen or a woman in her sixties,
Because abstinence doesn't apply to people,
belonging to any of those categories!
But I'm a thirty three year old woman and a mother too,
Need to set a good example to my toddler, though he's not even turned two.
Yes, I've got great will power, 
Yes, I've got the strength,
I am going to give up sweets these forty days,
But most of all I'll try to be a good human being, 
And that's not only during lent!!

No comments:

Post a Comment